The Sisters of the Good Samaritan

Two thousand years ago, Jesus told a story set on the winding Jericho Road, the much-loved parable of the Good Samaritan (Luke 10:25-37). This is a story about conflict, injury and abandonment, that turns to compassion and about “being neighbour".

Archbishop Polding, the first Catholic Bishop of Australia, was a Benedictine Monk, who in 1857 founded the Sisters of the Good Samaritan. He chose this name as he firmly believed that their work was central to “being neighbour" to the poor women and children of Sydney.

Their spirituality is often described as a twenty-first century spirituality, concerned with seeking God in prayer, relationships, creation and the common good.

The Sisters association with our community is long. They established St Joseph's School, Nambour in 1925, followed in 1940 with St Joseph's Secondary School (now St John's College), the oldest independent secondary school on the Sunshine Coast.

Showing a deep affection for their natural surroundings long before it was popular to do so, in 1977 the Sisters lovingly created the Najara Centre for Spirituality and Ecology. The centre emerged from adult education initiatives offered at their school and was a centre for spirituality, care for the environment and adult education.

Education has central to the Good Samaritan life and ministry for over 160 years, with many Australian schools administered and staffed by the Sisters and their colleagues.

Not only will Good Samaritan College enjoy strong ties with other Sunshine Coast Catholic schools, the opportunity is there to link with the Sisters' ministry schools in Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney, Broken Bay and Wollongong.​​

​​